Deathwatch Overkill final WIP post

This should be the last progress shot of these guys.  I think I've finished all of the bits on theses guys, just have to do some edge highlights on the black and apply the gloss washes.  After that I'll do some final touch-ups on the whole set before taking some complete set photos.  I'm excited to be done these guys and will be happy to move along from space marines (not my favourite thing to paint).

Finished Slaughter Priest - free white dwarf mini

I managed to get a few more hours and finish this guy up.  He's surprisingly large, which the 40mm base kind of hides in the pictures.  Anyway, finished up using the paint splatter article, with a few substitutions and change of order.  I like how he turned out and if I ever get around to doing the khorne half of the age of sigmar starter set then I'll use the same general paint scheme.

White Dwarf free mini - work in progress

I picked up the new White Dwarf and found some time Saturday afternoon to get started on the free mini.  I haven't gone through the whole issue yet, but liked the idea of getting the guy painted up quickly by following the paint splatter article.  I really like those articles and hope that they revive the 'eavy metal master class ones some day.  The only thing I changed is that I did all the base colours and washes together rather than doing one full colour before moving onto the next like the article shows.  I prefer doing it this way because I can fix any mistakes with the next layer rather that going back and fixing something that was fully complete.

As far as the new white dwarf goes I'm hopeful that they can figure out what it takes to become something like the "golden age" ones.  There is promise with how GW is approaching videos and social media, so if it can become a true hobby magazine then I'll keep buying it.  Time will tell.

Here's some of my work in progress pictures.  Overall I like the paint scheme and will use this guy as a test for any further Khorne guys I do.

Deathwatch Overkill Next batch finished

I've got 6 of the marines finished now, and the final 4 are already underway.  These guys are coming along nicely and it won't take too much more work to finish off the final guys.

I don't think there's anything special to report for these... maybe a few small things to touch up now that the gloss washes have dried.

More Deathwatch progress

Here's another update on my progress.  Working on 4 guys at once (all ones without helmets) and am getting close to the final wash steps.  As before, I've skipped the normal wash step after base coats and will do a gloss wash right at the end.  Things are coming together quickly now, and the next time I get a change to work on these guys I'll probably do them one at a time since I'm basically down to individual details (all the assembly line stuff is almost done).

Deathwatch kill team progress

I made a bit more progress on the space marine side of the overkill box.  I have two guys done, and the rest are now have the airbrushed black (and grey) plus some silver and gold.  I'll probably keep going with the whole batch until the gold is done, then just do a few at a time for the remaining colours.  The next step will be gold, then layer 1 of both the Gold and Silver then blue glaze for the left arms and a quick drybrush on that one.

Deathwatch Overkill: finished Cassius and Delassio

I made a bit of progress on the space marine side of the Deathwatch box.  I painted up Cassius and Delassio as a sort of test of my methods that I plan to use for the whole team.  I'm quite happy with the result and enjoyed painting two guys instead of 10-20 in a batch.  I pained the black armour and first highlight with my airbrush, so after that it was basically details.  I'm still experimenting with the gloss shades, but I think its working out well.  The general idea with them is to do the base colour and highlights first, then finishing with the shade.  I think this simplifies the process and takes out the step where you have to brighten things up after doing a normal shade.  The gloss really settles in the deeper areas without affecting the highlights, so I think this works out well.

A couple colours use a different process, such as the deathwatch silver arm.  For them I did, base, layer, blue glaze then a light drybrush highlight.  Just about everything else was base, layer, layer 2 then gloss shade.  For the armour it was black base, grey airbrush highlight then a thin edge highlight with Fenris Grey.

Next up, I've assembled the rest of the Deathwatch team and will do the airbrush step all at once.

Genestealer Cult update and notes about Orange

The cult is almost done now.  I'm cutting them off once I finish up the last layer of Orange.  I could keep going, but the point is to be efficient, and adding teeth, eyes, etc at this point kind of defeats the point.

There were a few comments about the orange on these guys, so I thought I'd list the recipe I've used.

Base: Jokero Orange (or Ratskin flesh, note below)
Shade: Fuegan Orange
Touch up: Jokero Orange (layers are very transparent, so a quick touch up on all the raised sections helps)
Layer 1: Troll Slayer Orange (this is quite transparent, so if you don't do Jokero Orange it won't be very bright)
Layer 2: Fire Dragon Bright (this just goes along sharp edges to pull out the details)

Note about the base, to save time I used Ratskin flesh on both the skin and orange for the base coat.  After the shade (purple for the flesh and orange for the cloth) you wouldn't really be able to tell, and I think it helped speed things up a little.

In the pictures below the two characters have the final orange highlight, but the other guys don't.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...